Monday, September 3, 2012

Genesee Valley Parent Magazine and Hochstein

A few weeks back I was working on my emails and I get this message, "Hey Deb, would you write into the Genesee Valley Parent Magazine's Special Needs Issue? "  The message came from Maria Battista-Hancock who is the chair of the Music Therapy and Expressive Arts program at Hochstein. The magazine was looking for success stories of kids with Special Needs.

Whenever something huge happens for Sam, ninety percent of the time it happens because somebody either told me, asked me or they brainstormed with me on how to make things happen.  I am not alone in this photography project and for that I am grateful.

My answer to Maria was an outstanding, "Yes!"  I love Sam's story about his successes at Hochstein so I quickly wrote into GVPM and that is all it took to get the ball rolling.  You see, Maria was the catalyst to Sam's first photography show at Starry Nites last April for Autism Awareness Month.  Maria is the force that moves Sam forward with his photography at Hochstein.  In addition to all of that, Maria is my friend.

This is Sam's snapshot of Maria and me.



This is Maria doing what she loves at Sam's Photography show "Autism Does Not Define Me" at Starry Nites. (Photo taken by Renee Hall Photography)



After I wrote into GVPM I received an email that was sent out to the Hochstein staff, "Our wonderful Debra is going to write to GVPM."  Wow!  I send out a big heartfelt, "Thank You!" to Maria.

GVPM accepting our story about Sam and his experience with the Music Therapy and Expressive Arts program at Hochstein  was a thrill for me.  I look forward every September when the Specical Needs Issue comes out so I can find as many resources for Sam.  The stories are uplifing and these special articles give me the means to continue on with my journey with Sam.  Pride pours into me as I see the article and have the knowledge that Sam will be giving others hope as they walk their path that is their story.

This is one Sam's photos GVPM used for their article.


Jillian Melynk, editor for GVPM, was the first person to contact me to inform me that they accepted Sam's story.  After I read the email I threw up my arms straight up into the air and shouted, "Touchdown!"  That is how I pat myself on the back for doing my job as Sam's Mom and being successful.  I think I probably let out and additional, "Woop! Woop!".  I enjoy my successes when I work hard to move further ahead with Sam.

Jillian and I sent emails back and forth for the interview.  I enjoyed telling her Sam's story and how Sam works with Music and Photography to work towards being a successful adult in the community.

The Hochstein story becomes complete when I talk about Joe, Sam's Therapist.  The photography story starts with Joe as I came up with the idea to use Sam's fascination with cameras to foster better reading skills.  It is Joe that advocated for Sam to use his photography in conjunction with music when Maria came on board as the Chair of the Music Therapy and Expressive Arts Program at Hochstein.  I chuckle as Joe tells me that I am like his mother when I give glowing reports on his abilities as a therapist.  I reply, "Am I old enough to be your mother?  Geez thanks!"  I say this in jest because it is a wonderful compliment.  And no, I am not old enough to be his mother.

This is Joe and Sam introducing Sam's video (Photos/Music) at the Music Therapy and Expressive Arts Summer performance.



What Joe accomplishes with Sam is phenominal.  He is a master of his chosen profession.  I would like to quote Joe as he explains what he does with Sam.

Sam's photography has organically become part of his music therapy sessions.  When Sam first brought his camera in, we used a song to teach him how to hold the camera and different ways to take a picture. 

Sam's first photo with Joe during that session.  This photo now hangs in one of the therapy rooms at Hochstein.


We also improvised music to accompany Sam's photography to explore the emotions the photos exude. Sam has engaged in Musical Executive Functioning Training which develops reasoning, planning, organization and decision making to create original compositions based on the elements of his photos.  Sam has used one of these compositions to gain insight into what it means to be different from others. 

Joe continues to say...

Sam works on a variety of skills including attention, executive functioning skills, interpersonal communication and using music and instruments to regulate his sensory system.  Sam has grown in a variety of ways.  He has improved his attention skills, reasoning and decision making skills, interpersonal skills including eye-contact and interacting with a variety of people in a variety of situations.  Most of all, Sam has developed a sense of who he is as a person, what makes him special and his self confidence has exploded.

When asked, "What do you like best about working with children with specials needs?"  Joe's response brings me to tears.

As with all my clients, I find great enjoyment in engaging individuals in music, using the music to accept them for who they are and discovering and developing new abilities to bring them closer to their full human potential.

Kudos Joe for a job well done.  Maria, Joe and Sam are breaking new ground for using photography with music in a therapeutic setting.  I am super proud to watch them as their story unfolds with Sam.

This is a photo that Maria shot of Joe and Sam.  It was used for the advertisment for the GVPM Special Needs Issue.



The story doesn't end there.  I had the pleasure of meeting Barbara Melnyk who is the President of the Genesee Valley Parent Magazine while at CLIX Rochester.  Barbara and I met at CLIX for the photo shoot of the cover of the magazine.  Barbara is such a lovely lady and you can tell that she loves her job helping others.  Barbara introduced me to Austin who is the owner of CLIX.  Austin is another amazing individual who instantly said, "We have to make a video for Sam."  The video is fantastic. I am one blessed individual.

This is a great photo of Jeff, an employee at CLIX Rochester, who was showing Sam his Hasselblad 500C.  The staff was phenomenal at CLIX.  It was a great experience for both of us.



Good things are happening for the Music Therapy and Expressive Arts Program at Hochstein.  I am looking forward to blogging all about it when it happens.

To view the Genesee Valley Parent Magazine's Special Needs Issue and to watch the video of Sam click on
http://gvparent.com/Special-Parent


*You can find Sam's photos on his facebook fan page Snapshots by Sam Maloney.

*The background of this blog was a picture that Sam took while looking for Salmon.





No comments:

Post a Comment