Saturday, November 10, 2012

Making a Difference: Congresswoman Louise Slaughter

Sam is away at Boy Scout Camp and I am sitting alone at my computer reflecting over the last couple of months.  There are moments in life where you realize that you turned a corner and tonight was one of them.  Sam and I made that 90 degree turn when we met Congresswoman Louise Slaughter.

I know that our paths have shifted because our life will never be the same since meeting Louise.  I know I am speaking for Sam but I am positive that Louise has made a lasting impact on teaching him how to better acoelmate to the world.  I know that Sam is better for learning from Louise's example. She is a smart, classy lady for sure.

 This is our story of meeting Congresswoman Louise Slaughter:

Sam and I woke up one morning this last September and needed to get ready for the Positively Pink Walk (a fundraiser for Breast Cancer) where he was the official photographer.  I remember being exhausted and I looked awful.  I was looking forward to the event but I was so stressed out that I didn't care how I looked.  I knew that Sam and I would be meeting the Congresswoman and after meeting lots of politicians I wasn't really excited at the fact that we would be meeting another politician.  I am not political and I felt at the time (I no longer feel this way)  that once you met one politician you have met all of them. (no offense to any politician) I remember working hard on keeping Sam on task so he wouldn't lose interest before she showed.  The car pulls up, she gets out of the car and I see this face that just lights up when she first meets Sam.  Louise starts talking and I hear the southerner in her voice and I was instantly intrigued.

Sam took some shots and Sam and I listened when she stood up to the mic and started talking.  The first thing I heard her say was how she feels about the need for better health care for woman.  I'm thinking, "Yea, yea, yea, health care, blah, blah, blah."  Instead when she said that she was a Microbiologist and she knows a thing or two she had my total attention.  Afterwards, I gave Louise the Parent Magazine where Sam was on the cover and she had him sign it.  I talked to her afterward kicking myself for not looking better and for not caring how I looked. Oh well, I was tired.

A special Shout out to Embrace Your Sisters.  You all put on a fantastic event.  Sam and I had so much fun meeting all of the great folks at the walk.


A few days later I received an email from Louise's Campaign Manager and asked if Sam would like to be the photographer at an upcoming press release.  It was at the Susan B. Anthony House in Downtown Rochester, NY.  The crazy thing was that I had written back to Liam (the Campaign Manager) and told him a little bit about myself.  He asked if I would speak at the event.  When I was standing there next to the Congresswoman I felt like Forest Gump. I'm thinking, "What the heck am I doing up here!"  


The most amazing thing about this experience is that one of my goals for Sam was to have him have the ability to take pictures of people.  Before this, Sam didn't want humans in his photos.  Sometime our loved ones with Autism don't like to make eye contact.  Sam looks through is viewfinder to take the photo.  It just looks like the person is looking him into the eyes.  It is kinda cool if you think about it.



After the event, Sam hugged the Congresswoman and we went to the car.  Sam turned to me and said, "I really like Congresswoman Louise."

I just love taking shots of Sam doing his thing.


The second event was at the Democratic Campaign Headquarters.  That will be a day that I will always remember.  We arrived at the Headquarters and we went inside.




I don't know what I thought it would look like but it was interesting.

Two cool guys working hard for Louise. (My chemo brain doesn't allow me to remember names)

I always find it interesting on what photos Sam decides to take.

Sam and I were waiting for the Congresswoman and he decided to take some creative shots.

We listened to Louise and then we went home.  I had so much fun uploading these photos from that day.

This is my favorite photo of the Congresswoman.

The final press release was at the Rochester Public Market.  What I remember from that event was the positive energy in the air and Sam clapping loudly as he was screaming, "Woo Hoo!"  I knew at that moment that Sam was part of the campaign.

A few days before the election I had written to Liam telling him that Sam and I were thinking of them and sending well wishes.  He wrote back and invited us to the Hyatt Hotel for Election Night.  I had no idea what that was so I put Sam in his suite and tie (I got smart and used a clip on because I don't know the over, over, under routine of putting on a tie.)  I wore my uncomfortable dress.

I will never forget standing by the elevators talking to the Channel 13 guys while we were waiting for the Congresswoman to come down from her hotel room to make her acceptance speech.  I am always introducing myself and Sam so I said, "Hi, I am Sam's Mom and Sam is the "official" photographer of the Louise Slaughter Campaign.  The video guy said that he remembered meeting us at the Susan B. Anthony House.  As soon as I said who we were the news reporter was texting on his phone.  Every time I say who Sam is to a news reporter they are always texting to someone.  Maybe they are asking their news directors if Sam is a story.  It would be really cool if that is what they are doing.  What a compliment that would be.

I just love this photo that Sam shot while waiting for Louise.

One of the most exciting things (beside Louise winning) was meeting the photography students from RIT.  They were a great group of students and they really enjoyed Sam.  I was watching as one of the students was giving Sam direction on how to take a good photograph.  After I loaded Sam's election photos on his page one of the students shared it on a photojournalism page.  It was at that moment that I realized that Louise had hired Sam to be her Photojournalist.  Wow, my son, who was diagnosed with Autism at age three, who the educational system feels that he is low functioning was taking photos along side college students who were learning to be photojournalists.  I think that is the coolest thing ever.


After the Congresswoman's acceptance speech Sam wanted to say goodbye to Louise.  First Sam wanted to meet Louise's daughter.  We pushed through the crowd and said our hellos.  Sam finally got to say goodbye and as soon as Louise was saying  "Thank you for being here" the cameras came around.  You can see on the news clip how much Louise cares about Sam.  Sam stood there patiently waiting for Louise to finish.  That is the remarkable thing about Louise, the Autism always takes a back seat when we are at her events.

Louise's staff had asked us to stick around and they invited us up to her hotel room to meet the family.  I was dumbfounded.  I will never forget sitting next to Louise not knowing what to say.  I am a meat and potatoes kind of talker and small talk failed me.  I remember what I was thinking.  I was thinking that I wished Louise was my family.

Sam's photo of himself before saying goodnight to Louise.


Thank you Louise for teaching me the human side of politics.  I pay attention and listen more.  I take an interest in what people are saying.   Most importantly I want to be involved.  I want to make difference by advocating for better legislation to protect our loved ones with all different abilities.  I am liking this view from around the corner.  Last but not least, thank you for caring about Sam.  I will never forget how you always introduced Sam as your "official" photographer.  By your example, Sam knows that if you work really hard that success can be your reward.

Fondly,
Debra

*Find more of Sam's photos at https://www.facebook.com/SnapshotsBySamMaloney & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXhzf2Hxhqk


*The background of this blog was a picture that Sam took while looking for Salmon.


2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful experience, and I love the pics! Great job, you two!

    ReplyDelete